Sunday, May 9, 2010

happy mom's day

I'm not someone who thinks that Mother's Day is a bogus holiday. While I don't at all think every woman has to be a mom to have a meaningful existence, motherhood is still a powerful transition. It's a big deal, so putting a day on the calendar in honor seems perfectly appropriate to me.

"Having a baby is an opportunity to transform a life, because in the moments of labor and birth all the forces of the universe are flowing through a woman’s body…" (Sister MorningStar)

In celebration of Mother's Day, two photos of my daughter, taken in May 2009 at our backyard picnic.

IMG_8406

IMG_8413

One of my oldest son taken then too (with his incredible eyes).

IMG_8407

Last, but not least - our latest (and final!) addition at his first Easter (2010).

079

*

And finally, a poem I wrote for Ari Ella -

Ella, "Beautiful Fairy"

I can see in your eyes
that same whisper
that drives me,
that makes me sneak past the doorway
that divides here from there,
that pulls me into the greens of trees
and silvers of midnight

your eyes sparkle and cha-cha
and peer at the world through
a veil of wonder, mystery,
presence

you are a living fairy


*

Happy Mother's Day to all moms out there. And for everyone else, just remember, your mom probably really did try... it's not an easy path! ;)

2 comments:

Pat said...

All photos are cute, but the top one is the best!!

CAid said...

this is nice!